Spigot is a variant of CraftBukkit, providing performance enhancements and powerful features for experienced server administrators. We will be running Spigot server in this tutorial to bring you the best performance possible along with increased features. We are assuming that you have already installed Minecraft Server on your machine. If you are new to all these stuff, you can make use of this tutorial to install Minecraft Server on your machine.
Now, here are some tips to improve your server’s performance. Make sure your server machine has 2GB or more of RAM. If it doesn’t, you may face out-of-memory errors during heavy loads. Also note that Spigot requires at least Java 7, update 20 or newer (Java 8 is recommended). Older versions of Java won’t work with Spigot.
Spigot offers a variety of performance improvements, which you can read more about on their website . A lot of these changes are the result of feedback from server administrators using BungeeCord , Multiverse and other plugins that require users to type commands into chat or execute console commands directly. In BungeeCord for example, a lot of time is spent simply parsing the incoming data from the BungeeCord proxy. Spigot’s JLine library enhances this performance by more than 20 times!
What is Spigot
Spigot is a variant of CraftBukkit, which means that it is compatible with the same plugins as Bukkit. Because Spigot’s code is almost completely based on CraftBukkit’s, most plugins will work flawlessly. The main difference between the two is that Spigot has performance enhancements and advanced features for server administrators. Spigot was made by taking the most useful parts of Bukkit and making them even better, while working around some of Mojang’s limitations to improve overall functionality.
It is recommended that you use Spigot on your server.
Starting Your Minecraft Server Using Spigot
First open up command line tool Terminal (Mac) or Command Prompt (Windows) in your Minecraft Server folder. You can find the path of your minecraft server folder by opening up the Minecraft Launcher, clicking Edit Profile -> Open Game Dir.
Here you need to enter spigot server files directory in Command Line tool or Terminal like below image.
Now navigate to your game directory using the command cd Documents/name_of_server.
In this step you have to run the server by typing the below command in Terminal or Command Prompt for Windows and Mac respectively. java -Xms512M -Xmx1G -jar spigot-VERSION.jar nogui
How to update a spigot server
Updating the spigot server is similar to installing it. You just have to replace the jar file in your game directory with latest available version of spigot server. Check the update procedure on Spigot’s website .
If you are getting this error while running Minecraft Server with Spigot via Command Line “Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=256M; support was removed in 8.0” then follow the below steps to fix it.
- First open .minecraft/launchwrapper.config file using any text editor like notepad++ or Sublime Text 3.
- Now find “JVM Options” section.
- If you already have -Xmx1G added then just add -XX:MaxPermSize=256M at the end of this section like below image.
- Now find “Operating System” section and replace your PATH variable with Java path on Windows or replace it completely for Mac/Linux OS .
- Saving and closing this file.
- You can now launch your Minecraft Server using Command Prompt or Terminal as we did previously during Spigot installation.
- Type in java -Xmx1G -XX:MaxPermSize=256M -jar spigot-VERSION_server.jar nogui on Command Line tool.
- That’s it, you can now enjoy your single player Minecraft on multiplayer with Spigot server.
- If you need any assistance feel free to comment below and we will try our best to help you out!
Spigot is an open-source variant of the popular Bukkit server mod created by EvilSeph . Spigot’s purpose is to strive to become the most efficient, flexible and reliable Minecraft server. It was designed with customizability in mind, with automated updating being a key feature.
Leave a Reply